For those of you who have been waitlisted at one of your top choices, here's a list of 2020 waitlist statistics for several popular private and public schools, along with notification dates and latest status where available.
Our sample of waitlist statistics from 100 private and public institutions paints the following picture:
- The number of students admitted from the waitlist rose 97 percent year over year from 22,223 in 2019 to 43,867 in 2020
- On average, 29 percent of students accepting a place on a waitlist were admitted in 2020, up from 18 percent in 2019
- 33 percent of the schools admitted 10 percent or less of the students accepting a place on the waitlist last year (vs. 48 percent in 2019)
- 17 percent of the schools admitted 5 percent or less (vs. 29 percent in 2019)
- 3 percent admitted no one (vs. 8 percent in 2019)
These results come as no surprise given the uncertainty brought on by the pandemic last cycle. That said, we strongly caution against assuming a similar level of waitlist activity this cycle as much of this uncertainty is now behind us and most schools are resuming normal operations.
Be sure to bookmark this page as we expect to be updating status over the next several weeks.
Click Continue Reading for the list.